Friday, October 17, 2014

Banana Republic - Module 2 CP - Photomontage


I've had the main photo of the gorillas on my desktop for a few months. Browsing the web,  I saved it because I thought it was shot and edited really well. While looking through my photo album for images for my band montage I decided to finally put it to use in my work titled "Banana Republic". Banana Republic is also a clothing brand. I've never liked the name 'Banana Republic' and that despite it's historical context its used as a name for a clothing brand but think it makes an excellent band name.  I think "Banana Republic" takes a brand name and spins it on its head.  

I used every tool I was able to remember from my first viewing of the tutorials and experimented a bit as well. While I'm mostly satisfied with how my montage turned out it could definitely be better. In my opinion extending the terrain so that the animals had more room to "sit" using the patch, content aware and spot healing tools was my greatest accomplishment here.

My concept: after the destruction of earth due to human greed only the primates are left. these brilliant animals form a new republic on a distant planet. They discover instruments floating in space and start a band that plays the funkiest punk rock music since Bad Brains!


source images:






Challenges: Making non-destructive edits to the original photos  to get the effects I wanted proved to be a real challenge. In addition painting the banana out of the animals hand was basically impossible for me so I ended up not doing that because it looked really bad. 

Goals: Learn how to paint a shadow! I think my montage would have been better if i could have painted details like a shadow of the animals on the land.

sketches: 






No comments:

Post a Comment